One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An animal, especially a mammal, that kills and eats other animals.
- ‘Perhaps it would have made sense to allow the private sector to have these so called ‘windfalls’, much as one throws a carcass to a hungry marauding beast of prey.’
- ‘The trapper did not see the form of a white beast of prey calling his growling message to the glow of the moon; he only saw a white figure bowing and baying out an inviting call.’
- ‘‘Largely my life has been spent in protecting these flocks against the incursions of ravenous beasts of prey,’ he explained.’
- ‘If we give our world a good look, he claimed, we will see ‘refined beasts of prey run, and we [ourselves] run [ning] in their midst.’’
- ‘He comes in this role, says Nietzsche, ‘to represent practically a new type of the beast of prey,’ one who is ‘venerable, wise, cold, full of treacherous superiority’.’
- ‘Evidently, we have a powerful desire to portray fearsome beasts of prey as rulers of prehistoric nature.’
- ‘Alekhine once commented that the chess master should be a combination of a beast of prey and an ascetic monk.’
- ‘Once flourishing human settlements in the countryside had turned into jungles and had become haunts of wild beasts of prey.’
- ‘In the vision of this chapter, Daniel sees the successive empires of this world as nothing more than grotesque beasts of prey that devour each other.’
- ‘Some argue that predatory market forces make it impossible for benevolent governments to shield their populations from the beasts of prey that lurk beyond their borders.’
- ‘Apparently, those who approved the ad were not familiar with Emerson's 1847 journal entry: ‘I feel, meantime, that those who succeed in life, in civilized society, are beasts of prey.’’
- ‘Nonetheless, the White House sought to portray a toothless tabby-cat as a savage beast of prey.’
- ‘Hence killing is portrayed as a means of survival, making the hunter the biggest beast of prey in the forest.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.