One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rich sauce thickened with egg yolks and flavoured with tarragon.
- ‘I grew up on steak, chips, Béarnaise sauce and garlic mushrooms served at steak-houses.’
- ‘‘Yeah,’ I shot back, ‘and I like my mice with a nice Béarnaise sauce.’’
- ‘You want the juices to run when you cut into it, staining your chips, mixing up with your Béarnaise sauce and getting your own juices flowing at the same time.’
- ‘It is a constituent of fines herbes, and is often used with tarragon, in Béarnaise sauce, for instance.’
- ‘It's like slathering a Big Mac with Béarnaise sauce and pretending it's filet mignon.’
Béarnaise, feminine of French béarnais ‘of Béarn’, a region of SW France.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.