One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a woman in labour) exert downwards pressure in order to push the baby out.
- ‘You may have a strong urge to push or bear down with each contraction.’
- ‘‘Some women actually worsen incontinence problems by bearing down rather than pulling the muscle up and in,’ she says.’
- ‘The pain is intense and the urge to bear down and push the baby out starts now.’
- ‘She could feel the pressure bearing down; she so desperately wanted to push but prior experience told her not to.’
- ‘The uncontrollable urge to push took over and I bore down hard.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.