One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hellebore, which has leaves that are said to resemble a bear's foot.
- ‘The leaves of the plant (Bear's foot) were bruised, and boiling water poured over them.’
- ‘Thibeault favors bear's foot ferns, which are good floor plants with long fronds.’
- ‘The fronds differ in these ferns, the Bear's foot being wavy and serrated.’
- ‘I have seeds for two types of hellebores: Bear's Foot and Black.’
- ‘These can range from ass's ears, bear's foot, bull's eyes, calf's snout, dove's foot, all secret names for regional plants so named to protect the naïve and innocent from the plant's toxicity and more probable, the witch's savvy desire to protect her renowned livelihood.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.