One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A party.‘a traditional Bank Holiday beano’
social gathering, gathering, social occasion, social event, social function, function, get-together, celebration, reunion, festivity, jamboree, reception, at-home, soirée, socialView synonyms
- ‘Within reason, let them have a beano - soda-pop, lime juice, or even milk shakes are quite safe in moderation.’
- ‘Anne Robinson, her of The Weakest Link, was in the Telegraph yesterday telling how she shared a car with a governor who regaled her on how great the beanos and dinners were - and didn't seem to care about the rest of the job.’
- ‘‘You'd get beanos with coachloads of men and women, drunk as lords by the time they got here, going wild,’ says Philip.’
- ‘In the end, however, Young sickens of the relentless, soulless fakery of such beanos and retires to a humble life of scrivening in London.’
- ‘From where I'm sitting they look revolting, as too do all those dreadful people you've invited along to your frozen food beano.’
- ‘This may sound like a surreal vignette from Oktoberfest, Munich's annual booze beano, which kicks off this weekend, but this was a much more local, less commercialised affair.’
- ‘Those marketing types still know how to organise a beano.’
- ‘Those readers thinking of making their way to this year's Munich Oktoberfest to enjoy a bit a light stein-sucking are warned that the 2004 beer beano may a livelier affair than usual.’
- ‘Send a Reg staffer to any corporate lunch, beano or junket (as long as you foot the bill).’
- ‘Families are sure to enjoy a four-night Christmas beano at Pontin's, which starts from just £63 per person based on four sharing a self-catering budget apartment.’
- ‘The Guild of Scriveners organises the beano, which involves teams dressed up in medieval garb sampling the beer in city centre pubs.’
- ‘Register security chiefs promised a total and immediate clampdown, centering on limiting access to PR bunnies and a complete ban on PR-sponsored lunchtime beanos.’
Late 19th century: abbreviation of beanfeast.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.