One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The sprouting seeds of certain beans, especially mung beans, used chiefly in oriental cooking.
- ‘Pho gains charisma by virtue of what you add: mint and cilantro, handfuls of crisp bean sprouts, whomping squeezes of fresh lime, green cartwheels of jalapeño.’
- ‘Our instructor is a bean sprout chewing yogic matriarch who speaks in hushed tones so as not to upset the alignment of her shakras.’
- ‘A common type of namul is sukju namul, or bean sprout salad.’
- ‘To start I ordered the seared Thai beef salad, marinated rare beef fillet with radish, fennel and bean sprout salad and a lime dressing for €8.90.’
- ‘Her father said before Kurren could grab a bean sprout with her fingers.’
- ‘There was also yasai itameru, stirfried pak choi, red onion, bean sprouts, sweet potato and coriander served on a bed of rice noodles in a spicy coconut soup, a non-starter soup you understand.’
- ‘The soba noodles, stir-fried with bean sprouts, black beans, garlic and soy sauce were a welcome salty addition and a good balance to our unintentional candyfest.’
- ‘Not being especially hungry, I stuck to one bowl of marinated beef with a dash of minced bacon topped with onions, broccoli, bean sprouts, mushrooms and carrot.’
- ‘Add the mushrooms, shallot, bean sprouts, ginger, garlic, and scallion and saute until tender, about 10 minutes.’
- ‘After a few bites of these tender, green shoots with crunchy tufts of pungent chive and bean sprout - all tossed in dangerously intense pale, yellow mustard - you'll be the sweatiest, happiest salad-eater around.’
- ‘Mix into the noodles with the sliced cabbage, carrots, cucumber, spring onions and bean sprouts.’
- ‘We see this person surfing the web, bean sprout sandwich perched precariously on his lap.’
- ‘Tonight's yums consisted of satay tofu, green beans and bean sprouts on buckwheat noodles with sesame seeds.’
- ‘The sprouts are comparable to soya bean or mung bean sprouts.’
- ‘Then there should be rice noodles, onions and bean sprouts.’
- ‘For a welcome grounding among such high-pitched flavors, there's a soft hunk of roasted eggplant, a ribbon of blanched snow pea or julienned carrot, or the watery relief of a mung bean sprout.’
- ‘For a main course, we ordered Singaporean Laksa at 38 yuan, noodles steamed with heavy coconut milk, prawns, clams, chicken, fried tofu, bean sprout and chili.’
- ‘Can you still tell a silver maple seedling from a bean sprout?’
- ‘Broccoli, spring onions, bean sprouts, celery, onions and bok choy were all pan fried with soy sauce.’
- ‘Then add the blanched green beans, bean sprouts, cooked prawns, shallots, chillies, lime leaves, lemon grass, basil leaves and the ground peanuts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.