One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The sprouting seeds of certain beans, especially mung beans, used chiefly in oriental cooking.
- ‘Her father said before Kurren could grab a bean sprout with her fingers.’
- ‘For a main course, we ordered Singaporean Laksa at 38 yuan, noodles steamed with heavy coconut milk, prawns, clams, chicken, fried tofu, bean sprout and chili.’
- ‘For a welcome grounding among such high-pitched flavors, there's a soft hunk of roasted eggplant, a ribbon of blanched snow pea or julienned carrot, or the watery relief of a mung bean sprout.’
- ‘A common type of namul is sukju namul, or bean sprout salad.’
- ‘Our instructor is a bean sprout chewing yogic matriarch who speaks in hushed tones so as not to upset the alignment of her shakras.’
- ‘Tonight's yums consisted of satay tofu, green beans and bean sprouts on buckwheat noodles with sesame seeds.’
- ‘The sprouts are comparable to soya bean or mung bean sprouts.’
- ‘Pho gains charisma by virtue of what you add: mint and cilantro, handfuls of crisp bean sprouts, whomping squeezes of fresh lime, green cartwheels of jalapeño.’
- ‘Add the mushrooms, shallot, bean sprouts, ginger, garlic, and scallion and saute until tender, about 10 minutes.’
- ‘After a few bites of these tender, green shoots with crunchy tufts of pungent chive and bean sprout - all tossed in dangerously intense pale, yellow mustard - you'll be the sweatiest, happiest salad-eater around.’
- ‘Can you still tell a silver maple seedling from a bean sprout?’
- ‘To start I ordered the seared Thai beef salad, marinated rare beef fillet with radish, fennel and bean sprout salad and a lime dressing for €8.90.’
- ‘There was also yasai itameru, stirfried pak choi, red onion, bean sprouts, sweet potato and coriander served on a bed of rice noodles in a spicy coconut soup, a non-starter soup you understand.’
- ‘Mix into the noodles with the sliced cabbage, carrots, cucumber, spring onions and bean sprouts.’
- ‘Then add the blanched green beans, bean sprouts, cooked prawns, shallots, chillies, lime leaves, lemon grass, basil leaves and the ground peanuts.’
- ‘Not being especially hungry, I stuck to one bowl of marinated beef with a dash of minced bacon topped with onions, broccoli, bean sprouts, mushrooms and carrot.’
- ‘Broccoli, spring onions, bean sprouts, celery, onions and bok choy were all pan fried with soy sauce.’
- ‘The soba noodles, stir-fried with bean sprouts, black beans, garlic and soy sauce were a welcome salty addition and a good balance to our unintentional candyfest.’
- ‘Then there should be rice noodles, onions and bean sprouts.’
- ‘We see this person surfing the web, bean sprout sandwich perched precariously on his lap.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.