Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The sprouting seeds of certain beans, especially mung beans, used chiefly in oriental cooking.
- ‘A common type of namul is sukju namul, or bean sprout salad.’
- ‘Add the mushrooms, shallot, bean sprouts, ginger, garlic, and scallion and saute until tender, about 10 minutes.’
- ‘Mix into the noodles with the sliced cabbage, carrots, cucumber, spring onions and bean sprouts.’
- ‘Then there should be rice noodles, onions and bean sprouts.’
- ‘Her father said before Kurren could grab a bean sprout with her fingers.’
- ‘We see this person surfing the web, bean sprout sandwich perched precariously on his lap.’
- ‘For a welcome grounding among such high-pitched flavors, there's a soft hunk of roasted eggplant, a ribbon of blanched snow pea or julienned carrot, or the watery relief of a mung bean sprout.’
- ‘Can you still tell a silver maple seedling from a bean sprout?’
- ‘Not being especially hungry, I stuck to one bowl of marinated beef with a dash of minced bacon topped with onions, broccoli, bean sprouts, mushrooms and carrot.’
- ‘There was also yasai itameru, stirfried pak choi, red onion, bean sprouts, sweet potato and coriander served on a bed of rice noodles in a spicy coconut soup, a non-starter soup you understand.’
- ‘The soba noodles, stir-fried with bean sprouts, black beans, garlic and soy sauce were a welcome salty addition and a good balance to our unintentional candyfest.’
- ‘Our instructor is a bean sprout chewing yogic matriarch who speaks in hushed tones so as not to upset the alignment of her shakras.’
- ‘Broccoli, spring onions, bean sprouts, celery, onions and bok choy were all pan fried with soy sauce.’
- ‘The sprouts are comparable to soya bean or mung bean sprouts.’
- ‘For a main course, we ordered Singaporean Laksa at 38 yuan, noodles steamed with heavy coconut milk, prawns, clams, chicken, fried tofu, bean sprout and chili.’
- ‘To start I ordered the seared Thai beef salad, marinated rare beef fillet with radish, fennel and bean sprout salad and a lime dressing for €8.90.’
- ‘Tonight's yums consisted of satay tofu, green beans and bean sprouts on buckwheat noodles with sesame seeds.’
- ‘Then add the blanched green beans, bean sprouts, cooked prawns, shallots, chillies, lime leaves, lemon grass, basil leaves and the ground peanuts.’
- ‘After a few bites of these tender, green shoots with crunchy tufts of pungent chive and bean sprout - all tossed in dangerously intense pale, yellow mustard - you'll be the sweatiest, happiest salad-eater around.’
- ‘Pho gains charisma by virtue of what you add: mint and cilantro, handfuls of crisp bean sprouts, whomping squeezes of fresh lime, green cartwheels of jalapeño.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.