One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ball bowled directly at a batsman's head or upper body without bouncing (regarded as unsporting).
- ‘Got to get on top of the ball, handle the bouncers and the beamers.’
- ‘Kirby's next trick was to bowl a couple of beamers to Ed Smith when he lost his footing.’
- ‘Edmonds wore not one but two bruises, both of the Caribbean sunset kind, one from a bouncer and one from a beamer, both from Patrick Patterson.’
- ‘In particular, they took a heavy toll on the erratic Hayward, who opened with a 90 mph wide and was soon warned for an unintentional beamer to Harvey.’
- ‘Kallis, who by then was seeing it like the proverbial football, calmly swatted that second beamer for six over midwicket, but the early part of his innings had been a different story.’
- ‘Pathan, perhaps not fully fit, wheeled away without joy, never managing the curl in to the right-handers that made him so deadly just a few months ago, and he finished the series with two sad attempts at slower balls that ended up as beamers.’
- ‘Kevin Pietersen smacked Lee for huge six into the stands at midwicket and there will be debate over whether a thigh-high full toss was a beamer or a missed lbw dismissal.’
- ‘While Pietersen complained painfully about what he considered was a beamer and followed the next delivery with more words, Koertzen said sorry to Lee because he apparently lost sight of the ball - and cost him a wicket.’
- ‘The ‘friendly’ flared up when Caribbean paceman Tino Best hurled a beamer at Lancashire's acting captain after Lloyd had cracked him for four boundaries in an over.’
- ‘Irfan Pathan had been ordered out of the attack after he bowled two beamers in an over during the slog.’
- ‘Sadly enough, your beamers don't qualify as ‘high velocity’ because they lack direction.’
- ‘At least it stayed low enough to avoid a repeat of the high beamers he hurled at Brendon McCullum earlier this year and at Marcus Trescothick in the one-day series against England three weeks ago.’
- ‘Early in the second innings, Best had bowled a beamer at Sangakkara and when he followed that up with another one to tail-ender Rangana Herath the umpire had to remove the bowler in accordance with the playing conditions.’
- ‘Next ball, Lee produces a full toss that's virtually a beamer.’
- ‘Bracewell believes that Lee could become the first cricketer to be taken to court for bowling a beamer following a recent incident that occurred in rugby league.’
- ‘Pathan, lacking the swing and control that he once employed regularly, was ordered out of the attack after bowling two beamers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.