One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ball bowled directly at a batsman's head or upper body without bouncing (regarded as unsporting).
- ‘Kevin Pietersen smacked Lee for huge six into the stands at midwicket and there will be debate over whether a thigh-high full toss was a beamer or a missed lbw dismissal.’
- ‘The ‘friendly’ flared up when Caribbean paceman Tino Best hurled a beamer at Lancashire's acting captain after Lloyd had cracked him for four boundaries in an over.’
- ‘Sadly enough, your beamers don't qualify as ‘high velocity’ because they lack direction.’
- ‘Edmonds wore not one but two bruises, both of the Caribbean sunset kind, one from a bouncer and one from a beamer, both from Patrick Patterson.’
- ‘Pathan, lacking the swing and control that he once employed regularly, was ordered out of the attack after bowling two beamers.’
- ‘Bracewell believes that Lee could become the first cricketer to be taken to court for bowling a beamer following a recent incident that occurred in rugby league.’
- ‘While Pietersen complained painfully about what he considered was a beamer and followed the next delivery with more words, Koertzen said sorry to Lee because he apparently lost sight of the ball - and cost him a wicket.’
- ‘Irfan Pathan had been ordered out of the attack after he bowled two beamers in an over during the slog.’
- ‘In particular, they took a heavy toll on the erratic Hayward, who opened with a 90 mph wide and was soon warned for an unintentional beamer to Harvey.’
- ‘At least it stayed low enough to avoid a repeat of the high beamers he hurled at Brendon McCullum earlier this year and at Marcus Trescothick in the one-day series against England three weeks ago.’
- ‘Pathan, perhaps not fully fit, wheeled away without joy, never managing the curl in to the right-handers that made him so deadly just a few months ago, and he finished the series with two sad attempts at slower balls that ended up as beamers.’
- ‘Kallis, who by then was seeing it like the proverbial football, calmly swatted that second beamer for six over midwicket, but the early part of his innings had been a different story.’
- ‘Early in the second innings, Best had bowled a beamer at Sangakkara and when he followed that up with another one to tail-ender Rangana Herath the umpire had to remove the bowler in accordance with the playing conditions.’
- ‘Got to get on top of the ball, handle the bouncers and the beamers.’
- ‘Next ball, Lee produces a full toss that's virtually a beamer.’
- ‘Kirby's next trick was to bowl a couple of beamers to Ed Smith when he lost his footing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.