Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device for dividing a beam of light or other electromagnetic radiation into two or more separate beams.
- ‘The excitation beam was split into two by a beam splitter, and crossed inside a sample cell.’
- ‘Then you shoot the electrons simultaneously into a beam splitter.’
- ‘After passing a condenser, light was focused on a field stop, and directed by a second condenser to a dichroic beam splitter into the objective and the interface.’
- ‘According to quantum mechanics, a single photon passing through a beam splitter takes both the reflected and transmitted paths simultaneously.’
- ‘The practical application is a polarization beam splitter that achieves 180° of separation with a grating layer of less than 500 nm. nano-imprint lithography’
- ‘A linear polarizer placed before the beam splitter rejected the p-polarized light, reducing the light noise and increasing the system dynamic range.’
- ‘Multi-element grating beam splitter using double refraction to reduce optical feedback and associated light source noise’
- ‘A photon of light is then fired at a half-reflecting mirror called a beam splitter.’
- ‘A focused beam of white light is sent through a beam splitter.’
- ‘The interference pattern on the detector shows that, as long as its trajectory isn't registered, the single photon has taken both possible paths from the beam splitter.’
- ‘The transparent beam splitter allows the user to see the real world and the virtual objects at the same time.’
- ‘The light reflected by this dichroic mirror, is split into two separate paths with a polarizing beam splitter.’
- ‘The beam splitter in the coupler deflected light to the video camera at right angles and simultaneously introduced a large amount of polarization.’
- ‘The laser was positioned with a combination of beam splitters, mirrors and lenses to create a vibration-sensitive projection on the nearest wall.’
- ‘When the two offset beams come back together in the interferometer's second beam splitter, the photons are sorted based on whether the two beams are identical (constructively interfere) or not.’
- ‘The extinction ratio indicates how well the polarizing beam splitter discriminates between two planes of polarization.’
- ‘For each instrument a beam splitter directs a small portion of the excitation output to a photon-counting device.’
- ‘A beam splitter has a plane surface arranged at substantially 45 degrees to the first and second surfaces, so as to reflect light from the light emitting display through the second surface.’
- ‘A long pass 500 nm dichroic was used as the beam splitter.’
- ‘The amplified pulses were divided by a beam splitter to generate pump and probe pulses.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.