One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device for dividing a beam of light or other electromagnetic radiation into two or more separate beams.
- ‘The laser was positioned with a combination of beam splitters, mirrors and lenses to create a vibration-sensitive projection on the nearest wall.’
- ‘The transparent beam splitter allows the user to see the real world and the virtual objects at the same time.’
- ‘A photon of light is then fired at a half-reflecting mirror called a beam splitter.’
- ‘The extinction ratio indicates how well the polarizing beam splitter discriminates between two planes of polarization.’
- ‘The practical application is a polarization beam splitter that achieves 180° of separation with a grating layer of less than 500 nm. nano-imprint lithography’
- ‘Multi-element grating beam splitter using double refraction to reduce optical feedback and associated light source noise’
- ‘The beam splitter in the coupler deflected light to the video camera at right angles and simultaneously introduced a large amount of polarization.’
- ‘The excitation beam was split into two by a beam splitter, and crossed inside a sample cell.’
- ‘The light reflected by this dichroic mirror, is split into two separate paths with a polarizing beam splitter.’
- ‘The amplified pulses were divided by a beam splitter to generate pump and probe pulses.’
- ‘A linear polarizer placed before the beam splitter rejected the p-polarized light, reducing the light noise and increasing the system dynamic range.’
- ‘When the two offset beams come back together in the interferometer's second beam splitter, the photons are sorted based on whether the two beams are identical (constructively interfere) or not.’
- ‘A focused beam of white light is sent through a beam splitter.’
- ‘A beam splitter has a plane surface arranged at substantially 45 degrees to the first and second surfaces, so as to reflect light from the light emitting display through the second surface.’
- ‘According to quantum mechanics, a single photon passing through a beam splitter takes both the reflected and transmitted paths simultaneously.’
- ‘A long pass 500 nm dichroic was used as the beam splitter.’
- ‘Then you shoot the electrons simultaneously into a beam splitter.’
- ‘For each instrument a beam splitter directs a small portion of the excitation output to a photon-counting device.’
- ‘After passing a condenser, light was focused on a field stop, and directed by a second condenser to a dichroic beam splitter into the objective and the interface.’
- ‘The interference pattern on the detector shows that, as long as its trajectory isn't registered, the single photon has taken both possible paths from the beam splitter.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.