One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device for dividing a beam of light or other electromagnetic radiation into two or more separate beams.
- ‘A beam splitter has a plane surface arranged at substantially 45 degrees to the first and second surfaces, so as to reflect light from the light emitting display through the second surface.’
- ‘The excitation beam was split into two by a beam splitter, and crossed inside a sample cell.’
- ‘The light reflected by this dichroic mirror, is split into two separate paths with a polarizing beam splitter.’
- ‘The amplified pulses were divided by a beam splitter to generate pump and probe pulses.’
- ‘For each instrument a beam splitter directs a small portion of the excitation output to a photon-counting device.’
- ‘The interference pattern on the detector shows that, as long as its trajectory isn't registered, the single photon has taken both possible paths from the beam splitter.’
- ‘When the two offset beams come back together in the interferometer's second beam splitter, the photons are sorted based on whether the two beams are identical (constructively interfere) or not.’
- ‘The practical application is a polarization beam splitter that achieves 180° of separation with a grating layer of less than 500 nm. nano-imprint lithography’
- ‘According to quantum mechanics, a single photon passing through a beam splitter takes both the reflected and transmitted paths simultaneously.’
- ‘The beam splitter in the coupler deflected light to the video camera at right angles and simultaneously introduced a large amount of polarization.’
- ‘A photon of light is then fired at a half-reflecting mirror called a beam splitter.’
- ‘A focused beam of white light is sent through a beam splitter.’
- ‘Multi-element grating beam splitter using double refraction to reduce optical feedback and associated light source noise’
- ‘A long pass 500 nm dichroic was used as the beam splitter.’
- ‘After passing a condenser, light was focused on a field stop, and directed by a second condenser to a dichroic beam splitter into the objective and the interface.’
- ‘Then you shoot the electrons simultaneously into a beam splitter.’
- ‘The laser was positioned with a combination of beam splitters, mirrors and lenses to create a vibration-sensitive projection on the nearest wall.’
- ‘A linear polarizer placed before the beam splitter rejected the p-polarized light, reducing the light noise and increasing the system dynamic range.’
- ‘The transparent beam splitter allows the user to see the real world and the virtual objects at the same time.’
- ‘The extinction ratio indicates how well the polarizing beam splitter discriminates between two planes of polarization.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.