One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A medium-sized whale with elongated jaws that form a beak, typically showing marked differences in size and body form between the sexes.
Family Ziphiidae: four genera and several species, including the bottlenose whales
- ‘Measurements of the pygmy killer whale, Feresa attenuata, Bering Sea beaked whale, Mesoplodon stejnegeri, and male and female southern minke whale, Balaenoptera acutorostrata bonaerensis were used for estimation.’
- ‘Baird's beaked whales have an elongated, slender, spindle-shaped body with a small head and long flat back.’
- ‘There are dolphins, both bottlenose and common, pilot whales, Cuvier's beaked whales and some more cetaceans yet, seen far away, their watery blows arcing into the sky against a cold and arid landscape.’
- ‘Extreme hearing damage could be what happened to 16 rare Cuvier's beaked whales in the Bahamas last March.’
- ‘Smaller species such as pilot whales, Baird's beaked whales and dolphins, are not subject to IWC restrictions.’
- ‘Gentry also notes the need to monitor marine canyons - which are not only perfect spots for subs to hide in, but also favored habitats of various species of beaked whales.’
- ‘And then one day the sea gives up her mysteries and one can watch with delight the beaked whale or five different species of dolphin which swim here.’
- ‘I didn't actually look up but there's a particular creature amongst the whales, a beaked whale, do you have that listed?’
- ‘A world away, off the South Shetland Islands at 60 degrees south, the Arnoux's beaked whale surfaces on steep southern seas.’
- ‘The bones of the forelimb of the alligator and the fin of a beaked whale are those of the arm and hand of a human, different in lengths of course, but all the bones are there.’
- ‘Indopacetus has suddenly become one of the better-known beaked whales, and future writers of cetacean field guides will have to christen another species as least known.’
- ‘The twenty species of beaked whales known by 1997 were grouped into six genera.’
- ‘At the time 14 beaked whales became beached on the same day that U.S. Navy destroyers where engaged in a sonar exercise.’
- ‘Marlin, sailfish, beaked whales and large artiodactyls and the recently discovered bipedal predatory dinosaur Suchomimus tenenerensis have neural spines that have broad anterior-to-posterior surfaces.’
- ‘‘Naval sonar has been associated with toothed whale deaths, and the most well documented case was the mass stranding of beaked whales in the Bahamas in 2000,’ Nowacek said.’
- ‘Between the prominent melon and the beak was a crease, which placed the species within a distinct subset of beaked whales - the bottlenoses.’
- ‘The teeth vary greatly among species in number, from 19/27 in Tasmanian beaked whales to 0/1-2 in all other genera.’
- ‘The finding comes from autopsies performed on beaked whales that stranded themselves on beaches in the Canary Islands four hours after military sonar activities commenced there September 24, 2002.’
- ‘Although he and his colleagues named a new beaked whale only last year, Mead says that scientists generally describe a whale species perhaps once a decade.’
- ‘Dolphins and porpoises are examples of odontocetes, as are belugas, narwhals, killer whales, sperm whales, and beaked whales.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.