One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Decoration or ornamental moulding resembling a string of beads or having a semicircular cross section.‘a cardigan with gold beading’
- ‘The double doors have decorative beading on face.’
- ‘A decorative beading cut along the face creates a shadow line, adding depth and interest to the frame.’
- ‘The interior of the secretary is surrounded with flush beading that also runs up the inside edges of the bookcase and returns across the shelves.’
- ‘Evidence that Jackson's home was originally a two-story house is the decorative beading on the underside of the floor joists.’
- ‘Ramsey emphasized this by continuing the double beading from the bow to the arm, and then forward underneath the scrolled end.’
2The bead of a tyre.
- ‘Instead of an inner tube the tyre has a rubber lining and the pressure of the beading against the rim of the wheel is claimed to give a seal which is proof against any escape of air.’
- ‘Remove the beading and cut tire in half.’
- ‘The wire beading is replaced with a bundle of Kevlar fibers that allows it to fold easily and as a bonus, shaves off weight by about 50-90g.’
- ‘Between the hub and the stiff wire tyre beading a layer of rubber forms a seal.’
- ‘Slick design tyre with wire beading in the tyre, this is a great tyre if you ride on wooden ramps or concrete as it offers great grip.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.