Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Decoration or ornamental moulding resembling a string of beads or having a semicircular cross section.‘a cardigan with gold beading’
- ‘The double doors have decorative beading on face.’
- ‘The interior of the secretary is surrounded with flush beading that also runs up the inside edges of the bookcase and returns across the shelves.’
- ‘Ramsey emphasized this by continuing the double beading from the bow to the arm, and then forward underneath the scrolled end.’
- ‘Evidence that Jackson's home was originally a two-story house is the decorative beading on the underside of the floor joists.’
- ‘A decorative beading cut along the face creates a shadow line, adding depth and interest to the frame.’
2The bead of a tyre.
- ‘Instead of an inner tube the tyre has a rubber lining and the pressure of the beading against the rim of the wheel is claimed to give a seal which is proof against any escape of air.’
- ‘Remove the beading and cut tire in half.’
- ‘Slick design tyre with wire beading in the tyre, this is a great tyre if you ride on wooden ramps or concrete as it offers great grip.’
- ‘Between the hub and the stiff wire tyre beading a layer of rubber forms a seal.’
- ‘The wire beading is replaced with a bundle of Kevlar fibers that allows it to fold easily and as a bonus, shaves off weight by about 50-90g.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.