One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Decoration or ornamental moulding resembling a string of beads or having a semicircular cross section.‘a cardigan with gold beading’
- ‘Ramsey emphasized this by continuing the double beading from the bow to the arm, and then forward underneath the scrolled end.’
- ‘Evidence that Jackson's home was originally a two-story house is the decorative beading on the underside of the floor joists.’
- ‘The double doors have decorative beading on face.’
- ‘A decorative beading cut along the face creates a shadow line, adding depth and interest to the frame.’
- ‘The interior of the secretary is surrounded with flush beading that also runs up the inside edges of the bookcase and returns across the shelves.’
2The bead of a tyre.
- ‘Instead of an inner tube the tyre has a rubber lining and the pressure of the beading against the rim of the wheel is claimed to give a seal which is proof against any escape of air.’
- ‘Slick design tyre with wire beading in the tyre, this is a great tyre if you ride on wooden ramps or concrete as it offers great grip.’
- ‘Between the hub and the stiff wire tyre beading a layer of rubber forms a seal.’
- ‘Remove the beading and cut tire in half.’
- ‘The wire beading is replaced with a bundle of Kevlar fibers that allows it to fold easily and as a bonus, shaves off weight by about 50-90g.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.