Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to, suggestive of, or appropriate for a beach or a holiday spent at the beach.‘a beachy part of town’‘beachy clothes and accessories’
- ‘Could you not get a cheap flight to somewhere beachy, take off your shoes, find a wooden cabin and a man to cook you curry, for a fraction of the cost?’
- ‘Gold Coast, Australia is a real beachy area.’
- ‘The bare stage and black backdrop are occasionally relieved by smoky atmospherics that evoke perhaps a run-down dance hall in a beachy part of town.’
- ‘Get that beachy glow without frying your face.’
- ‘Peel the tank off if it's steamy; put it back on when a beachy breeze blows in.’
- ‘This method of wearing it instantly transforms the formal blouse to something very casual and in this case, beachy.’
- ‘In the 20-odd years since the founder's pet first appeared on islanders' T-shirts, the Black Dog has become synonymous with a certain beachy New England affluence.’
- ‘What used to be a casual surfer-dude lair, aptly named "Le Shack," is now an airy, welcoming home that deftly juxtaposes beachy fun with city sophistication.’
- ‘Sihanoukville's white sand beaches and warm Gulf of Thailand waters combine with a laid back, beachy atmosphere to provide a great little tropical getaway.’
- ‘I don't know why exactly, it was just tough to make this beachy, happy, soulful and hopeful music, like Brian Wilson or something but out of samples.’
- ‘Orient's pools are built right on the rocks at the edge of the ocean which means you can have that beachy feel without having to get too much sand between your toes.’
- ‘Court combines the best of nature with a wonderful imagination; the effect is both beachy and sophisticated.’
- ‘But a look at a map of protected areas reveals that the land set aside - about 24 percent of the entire country - is primarily high mountain cloud forest and secondarily the beachy Pacific coast.’
- ‘The mum has an egg, passes it over to dad, who stands in a huddle with the other dads for two months (no Pizza Express, remember), while the mums go back to the beach and eat beachy things and get fat.’
- ‘This pieced-out, beachy look works best on girls with thicker hair that has some wave to it.’
- ‘The whole family is blonde and very beachy.’
- ‘Generally, if you are looking for a beachy cruise, Tahiti is not the place.’
- ‘It quickly transpired when we drove past our fourth bar as we drove out of the PORT that Ko Phangan might have once been a beachy paradise, but now, the whole island centres around this monthly event.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.