Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The area adjacent to a beach.as modifier ‘fine beachside hotels’
- ‘Having been fully persuaded of the dangers of exploiting teak, we embarked instead on an exploration of the best beaches by visiting the most picturesque beachside properties on offer.’
- ‘The biggest problem facing the actress and singer-songwriter is that storms and landslides have blocked the roads to her beachside trailer home in Malibu.’
- ‘In summer, you look out on stunning Highland scenery as the beachside barbecue sizzles with freshly landed fish and seafood, not to mention some of the best sausages in Scotland.’
- ‘Heading along the coast from town you will find yourself on a gorgeous, 20 odd kilometer beachside run from Pelabuhan itself to the town of Cisolok.’
- ‘We left after having brunch and getting the car washed, at around 11 am and arrived at our friends' beachside apartment just after 1pm.’
- ‘Nestling on the harbour wall, it has a good restaurant and serves decent bar meals, but it really comes into its own in the summer, when its beachside terrace is mobbed.’
- ‘On the 1,700-acre coastal forest estate there is a golf course, a beachside swimming pool complex and horse-riding trails.’
- ‘After a sensational sunset dinner of conch salad at a beachside restaurant on a far corner of Tortola, my party gradually became aware of the lyrics being pumped out by a steel drum band on the patio.’
- ‘Five used climbing equipment to scale the 120 ft dome, a focal point of the beachside plant, which covers the pressurised water reactor.’
- ‘The 41-year-old took charge of the rescue operation at his beachside hotel in the resort of Phuket, which was ravaged by the wall of water.’
- ‘But instead they were running for their lives when the tsunami hit their luxury beachside hotel.’
- ‘Manly Council, the local authority for the beachside area in Sydney where I spent the first 29 years of my life, has just banned smoking on its beaches.’
- ‘We had our end-of-year staff function last night at a beachside hotel's conference centre.’
- ‘Queues had formed early at one polling station in the Sydney beachside suburb of Clovelly, when polls opened under brilliant sunny skies in Australia's biggest city.’
- ‘Plans for the 40,000 square-foot zone include a beachside wave pool, a wild water river, two splash flumes, a lazy river ride and spa and plunge pools.’
- ‘The Smiths quickly swapped their home in Keppel Crescent, Bridlington, for the Caribbean heat and a beachside hotel in the Barbados resort of Worthing.’
- ‘Redcliffe Festival of the Sails On Good Friday Suttons Beach celebrates the start of the Brisbane to Gladstone Yacht Race with a colourful beachside bash.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.