Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Hauled up or stranded on a beach.‘a beached whale’‘beached fishing boats’
- ‘Imagine a house perched on seven acres of land, adjacent to a tree-lined pond with a red paddleboat beached at its shore.’
- ‘Later, at the Pacific Ocean, the men find a beached whale.’
- ‘A lone combine harvester was beached on a distant field.’
- ‘We are witnessing the last writhings of a society left beached by the march of history.’
- ‘The many boats beached on the construction site are causing delays.’
- ‘Local officials saved seven of 10 beached whales on Sunday.’
- ‘I lie on the pebbles like a beached whale, listening to the laughter of my buddy.’
- ‘An off-white agricultural marquee, like some wayward beached iceberg, covered an all-weather work area.’
- ‘The whale, now beached, was immediately photographed for the nightly news.’
- ‘The boat was beached in shallow waters without further incident.’
- ‘A baby whale looking for his mom, we are told, is beached.’
- ‘They could not remain beached 400 metres from the shore.’
- ‘The houses are clad in tin sheets, like beached gunboats.’
- ‘About 20 destroyers out of the 50 interned have been beached.’
- ‘A small motorboat sat beached along a small fence a few yards away.’
- ‘The central compound of parliamentary buildings has been compared to the forms of a cluster of overturned, beached fishing dories.’
- ‘Hundreds of large containers fell off a cargo ship, beached off the southwestern coast of England.’
- ‘Webster said he is asked to identify beached blobs quite frequently.’
- ‘Fishermen found a 50-foot, 50-ton sperm whale beached on the coast of Taiwan last Saturday.’
- ‘The hollowed-out half of the enormous tree was literally beached.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.