One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A form of volleyball played on sand by teams of two players.
- ‘Corporate teams will compete against sports associations in boxing, broom hockey, netball, beach volleyball and soccer.’
- ‘Women's water polo, indoor volleyball, the top beach volleyball pair and the gymnastics team also are on track for gold.’
- ‘People who don't like committees, seating plans and being told what colour of shoes to wear would be well advised to take up tennis, beach volleyball or snowboarding.’
- ‘Think of croquet, badminton, beach volleyball, even darts.’
- ‘It's all about sand, sun and men's beach volleyball - a sport in which the rules actually require the ball to be a bright color.’
- ‘It seems odd that all of a sudden synchronized diving, trampoline, and beach volleyball are Olympic sports.’
- ‘Phase one will consist of the out door courts that will facilitate Olympic handball, netball, volleyball tennis and beach volleyball.’
- ‘Brazilians love soccer and adopted their habit to the beach where foot volley or beach volleyball is very common.’
- ‘Well are we going to see beach soccer, and beach variants of other sports, join beach volleyball as a spectator sport in Australia?’
- ‘According to Grieve, beach volleyball provides excellent physical training by increasing stamina and jumping ability.’
- ‘I've been watching the women's beach volleyball at the Olympics.’
- ‘The port visit also offered an opportunity for the crew to play sport with beach volleyball, rugby and golf being contested during the six days.’
- ‘Phase two sports are archery, athletics, beach volleyball, baseball, female soccer and table tennis.’
- ‘They tend to focus on football and beach volleyball.’
- ‘Tennis players are the ones that catch on to beach volleyball the fastest because of the hand-eye coordination.’
- ‘Facilities include seven outdoor pools, a gourmet restaurant and an activity club for children, where they can play beach volleyball, table tennis and mini golf.’
- ‘It is feared that low-flying seagulls could disrupt events such as beach volleyball.’
- ‘Building sand castles and playing beach volleyball may be grittier vacation pastimes than you think, according to a new report.’
- ‘The Ancient Greeks would probably have scratched their heads in bemusement at the Olympic spectacle of beach volleyball.’
- ‘Unfortunately the club chief executive gets the wrong end of the stick and the entire Celtic team end up playing beach volleyball against some Brazilian lasses at Portobello.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.