One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A local government employee whose job is keeping order on a beach.‘the top deck was where we beach inspectors exercised our tirelessly vigilant search for sharks or drowning swimmers’
- ‘I knew some beach inspectors who did that job throughout every summer, and then spent the entire winter as ski instructors.’
- ‘He was born at in 1928, the eldest of the three sons of a beach inspector.’
- ‘I had a vacation job as a beach inspector throughout my law studies in the 1970s.’
- ‘There was no evidence to allow a jury to properly conclude that the beach inspector had any other practical choice in placing the flags than to put them where he did.’
- ‘One of the numerous advantages of being a beach inspector in those days was that the by-laws prohibited topless sunbathing by women.’
- ‘As he heard the news, he sent out rescue boats to inspect the coast and coordinated with beach inspectors.’
- ‘To the beach inspectors, supervising surfboards became an even more arduous job than either chasing dogs off the beach or policing bikinis.’
- ‘Beach inspectors said they would only reopen beaches if the sharks were not spotted for at least 24 hours.’
- ‘It's nice work if you can get it, better even than being a beach inspector.’
- ‘The beach inspector jumped in and pulled her to the side to tremendous applause from the crowd watching.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.