Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having made considerable or easy progress.‘if we got Terry to do that, we'd be well away’
- ‘The shoots will be well away as soon as they are under the ground, giving the plant a head start and guaranteeing lots of delicious spuds.’
- ‘Flash In The Pan, Buffed, and Recapitalize were well away in a very open field of 13, with favorite Sir Dex trapped wide toward the rear.’
- ‘She adds: ‘By the evening I was well away, it was amazing.’’
- ‘Mummify and Walk On Air were well away, with Studebaker also on the pace.’
- ‘I was well away after 2 glasses of wine with my meal, don't know what the matter was, I'm no lightweight!’
- ‘Had the Bulldogs beaten the North West Leopards and managed a win instead of a draw against Griquas, the Bulldogs would have been well away - but, that's sport.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.