One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Look exactly like.‘Felix is the spit of Rosa's brother’
exact likeness, living image, mirror image, very image, double, twin, lookalike, replica, clone, duplicate, copyView synonyms
- ‘And there was this guy there who was the spit of CD.’
- ‘In his hectoring manner and contemptuous demands for apologies and resignations, Campbell is the spit of John Humphrys.’
- ‘Pixie maintains that my step-dad is the spit of Richard Schiff.’
- ‘The boys are all in stripy dungarees and they are the spit of each other - with a mop of white blond hair, full cheeks and big blue eyes.’
- ‘As for Kieran, he wears his success lightly and is, Jackson says, a quiet, relaxed character who is the spit of his brother.’
- ‘In reality shows such as MTV's Extreme Makeovers some tragic dork from Dullsville, USA decides he wants to be remodelled to be the spit of Brad Pitt, and if it means smashing up his jaw and nose, so be it.’
- ‘Despite looking the spit of Robert Carlyle, McCardie is faultless, while Roeves, as a man living on borrowed time, is completely believable.’
- ‘Have you heard about the Glasgow woman that's the spit of The Queen?’
- ‘Apart from my eyes, I'm the dead spit of my mother.’
- ‘The youngest sibling Claire (played by Lauren Ambrose, the spit of Thora Birch in American Beauty) gets the call just after she's tried smoking crystal meth for the first time.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.