One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be extremely bad or the worst of its kind.
the worst, the lowest of the lowView synonyms
- ‘How could the rest of the world be so happy when my life was the pits?’
- ‘As boring as daytime stakeout seemed, nighttime surveillance was the pits.’
- ‘This is hard work and it's frustrating, because losing is the pits.’
- ‘Mr Beeston said the prices of broccoli and cauliflower were the pits.’
- ‘Then having to ask him for a ride home is the pits, man.’
- ‘Working as a kitchen maid is the pits.’
- ‘He said: ‘The thought that I set up and put someone in prison, whether a friend or not, is the pits.’’
- ‘The reader pointed out that the city is the pits - dirty, lots of poverty, lots of unrest, no shops no industry, absolutely nothing for anyone.’
- ‘The training was held in Pyrmont, meaning that parking was the pits.’
- ‘Not many people would have the nerve to tell their new boss that they thought the company's headquarters was the pits.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.