Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Be very good.‘they think that she is the greatest thing since sliced bread’
utmost, optimum, last word, very limit, height, epitome, peak, pinnacle, acme, apex, apogee, zenith, culmination, perfection, nonpareil, extreme, extremityView synonyms
- ‘Some people are a little confused by this latest trend, wondering what all the fuss is about and why it's becoming the next best thing since sliced bread.’
- ‘That's not to say there isn't a market there, rather that we haven't been convinced it's quite the next best thing since sliced bread.’
- ‘Just because almost everyone thinks the group is the next best thing since sliced bread doesn't mean that it won't fall apart.’
- ‘While some analysts think it's the next best thing since sliced bread, it has the feeling of WAP redux.’
- ‘She finally locates the Assistant Wine Whatever-His-Title-Is, and he of the broad-smile-on-a-wide-face recommends the wine as if it were the next best thing since sliced bread.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.