One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be in an advantageous situation.‘if she could get sponsors, she would be sitting pretty’
- ‘If we'd drawn three aces and two kings, we'd be sitting pretty.’
- ‘In five or six years time we will be sitting pretty, believe me.’
- ‘Before he started asking questions, the government was sitting pretty.’
- ‘And when The New Yorker finally went into the black a few years ago, they were sitting pretty as well.’
- ‘Hopefully by the time we start the run-in (six games in April!) we'll still be sitting pretty in 17th spot with all to play for.’
- ‘Though we had won the case, the present government is sitting pretty on the issue.’
- ‘People sitting on their family homes will be sitting pretty, enjoying continued capital growth, but for developers, the story might be more grim.’
- ‘If Grenada is in camp for two to three months and we can't even rally up one practice match who do you think is going to be sitting pretty at the end of the qualifying tournament?’
- ‘And, if I ever tire of my collecting, I'll be sitting pretty.’
- ‘On the surface it may look like the Federal government is sitting pretty.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.