One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Have exhausted all of one's resources.‘he was running on empty and even the alcohol had worn off’
tired out, worn out, weary, dog-tired, bone-tired, bone-weary, ready to drop, on one's last legs, asleep on one's feet, drained, fatigued, enervated, debilitated, spentView synonyms
- ‘He goes on to suggest that America is now an empire running on empty, backing away from the crucial imperial commitments of time, money and manpower - and resting on perilous financial foundations.’
- ‘The ground was operating at full capacity while the teams' inventive faculties were running on empty.’
- ‘After about three hours of high-intensity movement, you're essentially running on empty.’
- ‘Next time you're running on empty, reach for an apple with a tablespoon of peanut butter, plain low-fat yogurt with a cup of berries, or wholegrain toast with an ounce of cheese.’
- ‘I've been running on empty for over two weeks now.’
- ‘However, despite the fact that what happened was in the best interests of the spectators, it does not disguise the fact that this England team is running on empty.’
- ‘I'd been away for a long time and I was running on empty by the end.’
- ‘I will be running on empty, my life fuelled only by the adrenaline created by feelings of constant panic and dread.’
- ‘The city is running on empty, yet the amount of money considered necessary to feed the police force is growing by leaps and bounds.’
- ‘Plus, I was exhausted, running on empty by then.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.