One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Act in a way contrary to one's own interests.‘I try my best, but he's his own worst enemy’
- ‘The team were their own worst enemy as they squandered numerous chances in a nervous opening game.’
- ‘I think a lot of the time I can be my own worst enemy.’
- ‘But you can be your own worst enemy when there's a lot of negative chatter going on inside your head.’
- ‘Not for the first time in my life, I had been my own worst enemy, but if people don't treat me correctly, I have to hit back at them.’
- ‘Hitler went from being a superb strategist in the early part of his rule to being his own worst enemy later on.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.