One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Do or be what one wishes or in accordance with one's own character rather than as influenced by others.‘she certainly did not live in the shadow of John; she was her own person’
- ‘He was no angel, but he was his own person and wasn't involved with gangs.’
- ‘Harold is his own person, and he's going to do a terrific job tonight.’
- ‘Now with my album I'm able to be my own person and show me and all my songs.’
- ‘I think he'll be his own person, and he'll form his own legacy.’
- ‘Certainly, he is his own person, possessing a rather unique personality.’
- ‘I think the woman should continue to be her own person, because that's what I was attracted to in the beginning.’
- ‘He encouraged you to be your own person, be who you want to be.’
- ‘He's gone to great lengths this year to be his own person, not to be his father's son.’
- ‘I hadn't taken anyone's money to write anything, so I was my own person.’
- ‘I thought that you were your own person, you didn't care what other people think!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.