One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Behave well in a social situation or when being observed.‘warn them to be on their best behaviour’
- ‘We all know that when the relatives get together and have a few beers the stories are funnier and more interesting than when everyone is on their best behaviour.’
- ‘Barney said: ‘They really deserved to win and were on their best behaviour.’’
- ‘I was told to be on my best behaviour, as to not upset Uncle Charlie.’
- ‘I'll only say that everyone was on their best behavior.’
- ‘But if some of the former residents were lacking in self control the children greeting the Princess were on their best behaviour.’
- ‘I took her to the office yesterday, just to show her off; she was on her best behavior, cheerfully waving and grinning at all.’
- ‘Fans have been warned to be on their best behaviour as police have said that any trouble could lead to future exclusions.’
- ‘But, he was on his best behaviour on the day he became an Olympian.’
- ‘Well done to all the pupils who were on their best behaviour on the night.’
- ‘Yes indeed, we'll be on our best behaviour for a week as Hilary's mum arrives tomorrow lunchtime.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.