One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Behave well in a social situation or when being observed.‘warn them to be on their best behaviour’
- ‘But if some of the former residents were lacking in self control the children greeting the Princess were on their best behaviour.’
- ‘I took her to the office yesterday, just to show her off; she was on her best behavior, cheerfully waving and grinning at all.’
- ‘Yes indeed, we'll be on our best behaviour for a week as Hilary's mum arrives tomorrow lunchtime.’
- ‘But, he was on his best behaviour on the day he became an Olympian.’
- ‘I was told to be on my best behaviour, as to not upset Uncle Charlie.’
- ‘I'll only say that everyone was on their best behavior.’
- ‘Well done to all the pupils who were on their best behaviour on the night.’
- ‘We all know that when the relatives get together and have a few beers the stories are funnier and more interesting than when everyone is on their best behaviour.’
- ‘Barney said: ‘They really deserved to win and were on their best behaviour.’’
- ‘Fans have been warned to be on their best behaviour as police have said that any trouble could lead to future exclusions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.