Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Believe or maintain that.‘the complainant being of the opinion that this provided grounds for legal proceedings’
believe, think, consider, maintain, imagine, be of the view, reckon, guess, estimate, conjecture, fancy, suspect, feel, have a feeling, have the feeling, assume, presume, take it, suppose, expect, gatherView synonyms
- ‘They were of the opinion that at least people who drink should consider the difficulties they cause and the families they break.’
- ‘But another source is of the opinion that if the very system is to be demolished then even the provincial assemblies will have to go.’
- ‘Most of them were of the opinion that more such programmes should be organised to help the students develop their skills to build a better career.’
- ‘Nasti is of the opinion that most parents simply fail to introduce their children to the world of reading.’
- ‘Knowing that she is of the opinion that only trained professionals should venture into her area of expertise, I might offer a few suggestions to her.’
- ‘Only their defence was generally first-class, even if Hadden was of the opinion that at times it was ‘disappointingly shabby’.’
- ‘He was of the opinion that not to list the prison would be extraordinary.’
- ‘Dr. Chavda was of the opinion that since most athletes go abroad for training, there is no time to test them here.’
- ‘The developers were of the opinion that there were no planning issues involved in the proposed change of use.’
- ‘He is of the opinion that as in the case of polio and blindness eradication, some concerted efforts are needed to prevent the increasing number of diabetics from cardiac disorders.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.