One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be available to assist someone.‘if you need books, we'd like to be of service’
help, assist, benefit, be helpful, be of assistance, be beneficial, be advantageous, be of benefit, serve, advantage, be useful, be of use, be profitable, profit, be valuable, be of worth, do someone a good turnView synonyms
- ‘We hope to be of service to Catholics, busy parents in particular, who are concerned about what their children may be watching.’
- ‘Yet he is happy where he is, being of service and working with others.’
- ‘I was glad to be of service in the Oklahoma Bug Relocation Program.’
- ‘Of course, if you're unsure about what you're viewing, Moodie and the rest of the gallery staff are often more than happy to be of service.’
- ‘‘I'm glad to be of service,’ Skerry says sarcastically.’
- ‘‘My goal is to actually be of service, not just to hold onto my position,’ she said.’
- ‘This allows service providers to be of service.’
- ‘I believe I can't really be of service to anyone else unless I've got my own ducks in a row.’
- ‘‘I believe I can be of service to you here,’ she said.’
- ‘Her year there was an adventure that finally brought together her nursing and desire to be of service in the missionary field.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.