Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Be of practical use or help.‘the guide will be of assistance to development groups’
- ‘He believed the system would be of assistance to the guards.’
- ‘They said more of these would be of assistance to visitors.’
- ‘We hope this financial contribution will be of assistance.’
- ‘The installation of a mini-roundabout would not be of assistance.’
- ‘I would love very much to make a legitimate connection with Ireland and, thus, would be most indebted to any, and all, that could be of assistance.’
- ‘‘We hope this small fund and material aid will be of assistance to the victims,’ a press release stated.’
- ‘But instead we were told that they could not be of assistance to us.’
- ‘Hopefully, this information will be of assistance to future initiatives, both for local and service providers.’
- ‘This is a very welcome development and will particularly be of assistance to the elderly and those who do not drive or have access to a car.’
- ‘If those of you near the affected region are in communication with our colleagues there, please let them know we would like to be of assistance.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.