One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be very mediocre or unexceptional.
tedious, dull, monotonousView synonyms
- ‘The support band was alright, nothing to write home about.’
- ‘The coral cover was nothing to write home about and the usual reef fish-life seemed poor.’
- ‘The quality of the cooking was nothing to write home about, but considering that it was a Sunday and the kitchen was probably running at half-kilter, one could certainly eat worse food at a greater cost in many other restaurants.’
- ‘It got mediocre but promising ratings in the first season - nothing to write home about, but enough to warrant a second season.’
- ‘There are several tea houses and eating establishments which appear interesting but on the whole offer nothing to write home about.’
- ‘The story's nothing to write home about - a family gathers for the laying to rest of their mother and sister who has just died.’
- ‘The ambience is nothing to write home about: just over a dozen seats in a small, sparsely decorated white room.’
- ‘The mushrooms were nothing to write home about.’
- ‘Rooms are plantation-style, a tad on the small side and nothing to write home about, although the restaurant, a fusion of French and Creole, is a definite winner.’
- ‘Alas, most of the food is nothing to write home about: the salad dressing is quite bland, the shrimps are fresh though boring, and, incredibly, garlic is nowhere to be found.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.