One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Have only a short time to live.‘these people either radiate incredible vitality or else complain that they're not long for this world’
- ‘Sure enough, I tracked him down only to find out that he's extremely ill and possibly not long for this world.’
- ‘Sadly however, like our four other sisters, Caroline, Sophie, Amelie and Victory, he was not long for this world.’
- ‘A child, not long for this world should have a heavenly name.’
- ‘One way or another, whether we like it or not we are all not long for this world.’
- ‘As I watched and listened to Marie, I was overwhelmed by the love she showed this sick, frail man - not long for this world, with nothing to give her in return.’
- ‘There are a few who know the reasons behind the murders, but they too are not long for this world.’
- ‘In general, my tastes in television are a reliable guide to what's about to get cancelled - if I like it, it is not long for this world.’
- ‘In act, Dan was still laying drains well after doctors told him he was not long for this world.’
- ‘I'm going to need a new chair for the coming season - my old one, made of metal tubing, has developed an alarming creak over the winter and is not long for this world, I fear.’
- ‘One can only assume that the 95-year old is not long for this world.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.