One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Northern English informal Be delighted.‘we're made up about the baby’
- ‘He's made up with his player of the month award.’
- ‘I think of him a lot when I go running and he would be made up about me doing the triathlon.’
- ‘I was made up about being best man.’
- ‘As players and mates, we are made up for him but it hurts to think he is no longer alongside us in the trenches.’
2Be assured of success; be lucky.‘what with the high prices since the war started, we'll be made up if it lasts’
- ‘What with the high prices for the grain an' the exportin' wholesale since the war started, we'll be made up if it lasts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.