One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Have a stronger character and be more able to overcome problems than others.‘whereas James was deeply wounded by the failure, George was made of sterner stuff’
- ‘But Jeanne is made of sterner stuff than me, so head over there if you think you can bear to read the most recent developments.’
- ‘Livy kept fidgeting, and I knew she was dying to talk about Haley, but Noelle was made of sterner stuff.’
- ‘At your age, your Grandmother and Father were made of sterner stuff and showed more consideration for their future role.’
- ‘To him disappointment means little, he is made of sterner stuff.’
- ‘But the elite athletes of the ancient world, it seems, were made of sterner stuff.’
- ‘Not a good sign, to be sure, but the rest of us were made of sterner stuff.’
- ‘I can only pray our next Prime Minister is made of sterner stuff.’
- ‘I suppose leaders were made of sterner stuff back then.’
- ‘Thankfully, our medieval forbears were made of sterner stuff.’
- ‘Roberts is made of sterner stuff than her hometown image suggests.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.