Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Be rather short of.‘we're light on fuel’
- ‘I've complained before about movies being light on plot, but this one is absolutely plot-free.’
- ‘News of the hacker's exploit this morning has been light on details.’
- ‘Though the talk was light on actual development details, the fact remains that Nom 2 is one hell of a crazy game.’
- ‘I remember the letters were light on news about his military life and more focused on her.’
- ‘Such civil litigation is labour intensive, and like all capital defence offices, we were light on labour.’
- ‘He has been light on policy while exhorting voters to abandon the stale battle between right and left.’
- ‘I apologize we were light on the show notes, a bit light on the content, and there were no technical segments.’
- ‘In reality, the session was light on content, and relatively few major bills were passed.’
- ‘He did 32 very fine films for Columbia which were light on song and heavy with drama.’
- ‘The novel is light on the amount of dialogue, but very lyrical and poetic.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.