One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Be present when a hunted animal is caught and killed.
- ‘My horse was, fortunately, a quiet old beast, that had rushed with me into many a herd, and been in at the death of many a buffalo.’
- ‘After the latter I had many a long and tiring run in my boyish days; and on one occasion followed the pack for five hours, without a moment's rest, and was in at the death of a fourth hare.’
- ‘All the hunters who were in at the death expressed their surprise at these appearances.’
- ‘My brother was in at the death of the great southern herds in 1877, and had a good deal of experience in buffalo hunting.’
- ‘He thought he might yet be in at the death; and with this idea he ran up to his horse, drew the picket-pin, and leaping upon his bare back, directed him after the chase.’
- 1.1 Be present when something fails or comes to an end.
- ‘And then he himself, in the King George V, was in at the death, battleships, battle-cruisers, the fleet air arm, cruisers, and destroyers, all having taken part in the chase.’
- ‘Even at this stage, it is already almost certain to qualify in first place, but the fight is on for the minor placings, with any of the other 7 teams capable of being in at the death.’
- ‘A fury of rule or ruin has always in the history of human affairs been a characteristic of the ‘strong men’ whose fate it is to be in at the death of an expiring principle.’
- ‘Well, we'll be returning to the experiment to be in at the death, so to speak!’
- ‘After the first two matches of the 2004-05 Premier League season, Arsenal and Chelsea have both announced their intentions to be in at the death for the Premiership title.’
- ‘‘New Zealand troops were in at the death, and have fought with tremendous tenacity throughout,’ cabled Mr. Churchill to the New Zealand Government.’
- ‘Before the big show I went on stage and told the audience they were in at the death of a film.’
- ‘Another occasion on which he was in at the death chasing victory came on a tour to Taiwan in the 1980s.’
- ‘During a portion of this year Bowen retired from active work, but returned in time to be in at the death, which occurred in February, 1879.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.