One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be permanent or widely accepted.‘the private sector is here to stay and likely to expand’
- ‘It has been accepted and has come to stay as a necessary facility of life.’
- ‘But coal is here to stay, because it is abundant and the alternatives are generally more expensive.’
- ‘We certainly wouldn't be investing so heavily in the future of our pubs if we didn't think they were here to stay.’
- ‘In previous years the right wing of the union accepted that a divided civil and public service was here to stay.’
- ‘The organisation yesterday warned high oil prices were here to stay.’
- ‘Texting is not a passing phase in the technological age; it is here to stay.’
- ‘The private sector is here to stay, but can it be altered sufficiently to become of net positive value to society?’
- ‘So let us be mature, and accept that globalisation is here to stay.’
- ‘Pay parking is a reality and like all the other charges which we have had to accept it is here to stay.’
- ‘It also reflects their failure to accept that devolved and decentralised government is here to stay.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.