Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of something unpleasant) threaten to affect someone at any moment.‘uncertainty about the group's future was hanging over their heads’
- ‘The thing has been hanging over my head since the summer, and I wanted to finish it before Christmas.’
- ‘This has been hanging over my head since I started here.’
- ‘The press were on his case, and a court case for alleged assault was hanging over his head (he was cleared later in the year).’
- ‘This is the noise I am making as I finish, print out and collate a pack of 7 essays that have been hanging over my head for ages and ages, ready to hand in as the last act before the holidays.’
- ‘The incident, he said, had been hanging over his head for a substantial period of time, and had taken ‘a considerable toll of his mental and financial well-being’.’
- ‘A client's computer problem has been hanging over my head for a few weeks now, and this morning it was finally sorted out.’
- ‘The idea of the engagement party was hanging over my head like a dark cloud and I wondered whether there was any way to get out of it.’
- ‘They wanted to provide a better world for everyone that was over there, and they certainly don't deserve a fate that is hanging over their head.’
- ‘All the while the citizenship issue was hanging over my head.’
- ‘Add to this year's mix the fact that I'm supposed to complete a novel this month, my favorite boss is running for a position in a different court, this school program that is hanging over my head and you have a recipe for a nervous breakdown.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.