One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Have just sold or run out of a supply of (something)‘we're fresh out of Stilton’
be without, have need of, be in need of, need, be lacking, require, want, feel the want of, be short of, be deficient in, stand in need of, go without, be bereft of, be deprived of, be low on, be pressed for, not have enough of, be devoid of, have insufficient, cry out forView synonyms
- ‘It's possible that he is fresh out of constructive ideas on this subject.’
- ‘But after taking a long look at the suspect's eyes and not seeing much spark there, he apologetically explained that he was fresh out of bucks in the till, and would have to go and get some more.’
- ‘The only problem with that was Peter was fresh out of inspiration.’
- ‘Or you may be fresh out of layout ideas and may glean some inspiration by starting with a basic page.’
- ‘If you had to check your camera, you likely would have been fresh out of luck on that trip.’
- ‘He was fresh out of ideas, and his next move could be checkmate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.