One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be in imminent danger of punishment or other trouble.
be punished, be blamed, take the blame, pay, suffer, suffer the consequences, pay the priceView synonyms
- ‘We knew it would hurt; we knew we were for it in a big way.’
- ‘If you're not careful you'll have the matron in here and if she sees the state of this skirt I'm working on I'll be for it.’
- ‘Cook will be worried sick and Mrs Benson might very well have noticed my absence by now and I'll be for it when I get back.’
- ‘God will get you in the end, the devil will not be able to save you from his fury, and then you will be for it.’
- ‘‘If Sheila finds out I'll be for it,’ said Jim looking worried.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.