Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Be pregnant:‘his wife was expecting again’
pregnant, expecting a baby, having a baby, having a child, carrying a childenceintein the family way, expecting a happy event, eating for two, preggers, preggy, with a bun in the oven, with one in the ovenin the club, in the pudding club, up the duff, up the spout, up the stickknocked uppreggo, cluckyin trouble, in podgravid, parturientwith child, big with child, heavy with child, in a delicate condition, in an interesting condition, childing, on the wayimpregnateView synonyms
- ‘It is understood that the woman was told during her pregnancy that she was expecting twins.’
- ‘I'm trying to get back into jogging but my wife Emma is expecting a baby in August - so I expect to be rather more occupied with that.’
- ‘The couple recently married, and are expecting their first baby soon.’
- ‘He praised the young couple for their serious commitment, counselled them through a miscarriage and, at their wedding one year later, joyfully announced during the ceremony that they were expecting a baby.’
- ‘It is even more distressing when we are expecting our third child soon.’
- ‘A couple got a little more than they bargained for when they found they were expecting triplets’
- ‘The media-shy couple, who were fiercely tight-lipped about their year-long romance, broke the news they were expecting a baby shortly before they wed.’
- ‘The couple announced they were expecting a baby in November last year, when Louise was four months pregnant.’
- ‘The pair said they were overjoyed when they announced they were expecting their first baby earlier this month.’
- ‘We also had our own private joy as we had just learned that we were expecting our fifth child, Kian.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.