Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Lie or deliberately withhold information:‘the government spokesman was often economical with the truth’
dishonest, deceitful, underhand, underhanded, duplicitous, double-dealing, two-faced, dissembling, insincere, false, lying, untruthful, mendaciousView synonyms
- ‘Yes, some key players were economical with the truth, and it is a bit surprising that a Prime Minister normally prone to micro-managing potential crises allowed this matter to be handled by others.’
- ‘Does the pressure group Shoppers In Europe really believe that prices would go down by 15% if the UK joined the euro, or is they just being economical with the truth?’
- ‘Was the prime minister economical with the truth?’
- ‘On the democratic front, successive governments gained power by being economical with the truth, and once in office, lied blatantly about their intentions.’
- ‘However, after last Tuesday's reshuffle, we can only assume that the First Minister's pronouncements - to us, to others, on the record and on camera - were a case of his being economical with the truth.’
- ‘At best, voters think the government was economical with the truth, at worst they believe it deliberately lied.’
- ‘There has never been, and there will never be, any attempt either to hide or to be economical with the truth.’
- ‘Either he has been dramatically misled by his civil servants or, with possible prodding from the special relationship with Washington, he was being extremely economical with the truth.’
- ‘Therefore the Executive's claim to have implemented ‘free personal care’ for the elderly is simply being economical with the truth.’
- ‘I felt she was economical with the truth when she felt under attack.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.