One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be defeated at the last moment.
- ‘Though he was beaten at the post he managed to create a course record.’
- ‘Nearly everybody has a tale to tell how they got beaten at the post when buying real estate.’
- ‘The girls played superbly but were beaten at the post losing by one match overall to the Australian team.’
- ‘They were later beaten at the post by the number two seeds.’
- ‘Caroline had no intention of being beaten at the post.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.