One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be clumsy or awkward in one's actions.‘I'm all thumbs when it comes to making bows’
clumsy, awkward, maladroit, inept, bungling, bumbling, incompetent, unskilful, heavy-handed, ungainly, inelegant, inexpert, graceless, ungraceful, gauche, unhandy, uncoordinated, gawky, cloddish, clodhoppingView synonyms
- ‘I've been all thumbs and screw up everything I touch.’
- ‘"When she is working in the house, she is all thumbs."’
- ‘I'm all thumbs when it comes to any kind of decorating, even presents.’
- ‘I am not just all thumbs, more all toes.’
- ‘"He's all thumbs, Amelia."’
- ‘I'm trying to get a PDF of the letter up as well, but I'm all thumbs with this pesky technology, so bear with me.’
- ‘You are all thumbs in the kitchen.’
- ‘"I'm all thumbs when it comes to loading the reels."’
- ‘If you are all thumbs when it comes to your hair ask a talented friend or your favorite stylist to help you achieve this style.’
- ‘His bumbling, childlike Mr Bean was all thumbs and two left feet, and the fact that he rarely spoke meant his vaudevillian humour travelled well.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.