One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Look very cheerful and pleased, especially in contrast to a previous mood.‘she was all smiles now that the crisis was over’
- ‘Mr. Derek was all smiles and grins for the ladies, and jokes and cuddles for the kids.’
- ‘In contrast, Harrington was all smiles, perfectly at ease with himself and the situation.’
- ‘But it was all smiles at a parents' evening within two months.’
- ‘Brooklyn Beckham was all smiles today as he emerged from the private hospital where his mother Victoria and new-born brother Romeo were said to be doing well.’
- ‘Nadine George was all smiles as she accepted this trophy from Sports Minister Mario Michel’
- ‘The waitress was all smiles and sweet to me, and made me feel right at home.’
- ‘For his part, Khan, who was all smiles, expressed his confidence in Imbert's ability to get the job done.’
- ‘Lydia Cross was all smiles again this week after being rushed to hospital with laryngitis.’
- ‘Not too impressed when he drew Greece a few weeks ago, however, he was all smiles on Sunday night following their shock Championship win.’
- ‘He was all smiles by the time I stumbled into the office on Sunday morning, still in need of a few more hours of sleep.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.