One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be clumsy or awkward in one's actions.
- ‘I seemed to be all fingers and thumbs and dropped things right, left and centre.’
- ‘We've didn't want another flip phone because when it rings we're all fingers and thumbs and can't get it open quick enough after spending ages trying to get it out of the handbag.’
- ‘Wigan were surprisingly all fingers and thumbs at times in their first home game of the new campaign.’
- ‘Scooping up the warm rice and hot pickle by hand feels natural enough till it gets to my mouth; then I am all fingers and thumbs, bits of curry-stained rice dropping into my lap, and still so obviously, embarrassingly, a tourist.’
- ‘Hands that saved penalties with ease were all fingers and thumbs at writing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.