Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Used to convey that the presence of a particular quality or feeling is clearly revealed by a person's expression.‘guilt was written all over his face’
- ‘Vicky spoke out, excitement clearly written all over her face.’
- ‘But personally I still think he's got winner written all over him.’
- ‘He most certainly has leadership material written all over him.’
- ‘They seemed to me to have trouble written all over them.’
- ‘Jamie could clearly see that anguish was written all over his face.’
- ‘Four of the five goals had quality written all over them, several of the points were also out of the top drawer, and there were several individual performances on both sides that further embellished this magnificent game.’
- ‘Sam stared at me, surprise clearly written all over her face.’
- ‘She started running, panic clearly written all over her face.’
- ‘He saw her jaw tighten with recognition and determination; mistrust clearly written all over her features.’
- ‘They looked up to see her looming over them, with a stern expression written all over her face.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.