One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Have a specified net profit or advantage.‘I came out £7 to the good’
- ‘Within the space of five minutes from being a single point to the good Laois were suddenly ten points ahead and on their way to victory.’
- ‘Playing into the strong breeze, they were a goal to the good in twenty three seconds, Billy Harty rattling the net from close range.’
- ‘Indeed the Scots should have been a try to the good after three minutes.’
- ‘Armagh was a point to the good when John McEntee replaced Ronan Clarke.’
- ‘The visitors to St Martins Park were quicker out of the starting blocks and they were a goal to the good inside the opening minute of the game.’
- ‘The local side dominated the game from the start and were a goal to the good after 15 minutes with a well placed shot from Dale Warburton (St. Joseph's).’
- ‘Refuse To Bend saw out the 10-furlong trip in great style and was a head to the good at the line.’
- ‘The visitors were a goal to the good before the interval but Acomb almost equalised when the ball appeared to cross the Metros line after great work by Wendy Watson.’
- ‘In fact, Kendal could have been several goals to the good by half-time but only took the lead when Russ Miller struck the ball sweetly across the area and into the far corner of the goal.’
- ‘Once they were a man to the good Dundee made it count almost immediately driving over from a close range lineout, McLaren was back to ensure the throw went to the right man, with prop forward Neil Dymock the last man up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.