One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Have a specified net profit or advantage.‘I came out £7 to the good’
- ‘In fact, Kendal could have been several goals to the good by half-time but only took the lead when Russ Miller struck the ball sweetly across the area and into the far corner of the goal.’
- ‘Within the space of five minutes from being a single point to the good Laois were suddenly ten points ahead and on their way to victory.’
- ‘The local side dominated the game from the start and were a goal to the good after 15 minutes with a well placed shot from Dale Warburton (St. Joseph's).’
- ‘Playing into the strong breeze, they were a goal to the good in twenty three seconds, Billy Harty rattling the net from close range.’
- ‘Armagh was a point to the good when John McEntee replaced Ronan Clarke.’
- ‘The visitors to St Martins Park were quicker out of the starting blocks and they were a goal to the good inside the opening minute of the game.’
- ‘Once they were a man to the good Dundee made it count almost immediately driving over from a close range lineout, McLaren was back to ensure the throw went to the right man, with prop forward Neil Dymock the last man up.’
- ‘The visitors were a goal to the good before the interval but Acomb almost equalised when the ball appeared to cross the Metros line after great work by Wendy Watson.’
- ‘Indeed the Scots should have been a try to the good after three minutes.’
- ‘Refuse To Bend saw out the 10-furlong trip in great style and was a head to the good at the line.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.