Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Reprimand someone angrily:‘tales of how she bawled out employees’
reprimand, rebuke, scold, admonish, reprove, upbraid, chastise, chide, censure, castigate, lambaste, berate, lecture, criticize, take to task, read the riot act to, give a piece of one's mind to, haul over the coalstell off, give someone a telling-off, dress down, give someone a dressing-down, pitch into, lay into, lace into, blow up at, give someone an earful, give someone a roasting, give someone a rocket, give someone a rollickinghave a go at, carpet, tear someone off a strip, give someone what for, let someone have itchew out, ream outbollock, give someone a bollockingView synonyms
- ‘An embarrassed Donovan later told a reporter, ‘I thought I was going to get traded after he bawled me out.’’
- ‘The next day my next-door neighbor, who is a bit of a tough guy, bawled me out for not calling the cops.’
- ‘If your boss bawls you out for a mistake, you can take it if he or she also congratulates you for a job well done.’
- ‘But the drill sergeant bawls them out and makes them perform this curious action.’
- ‘Anyway, but Anne Marie contacted Olivia and John, and your bullheaded sister bawled her out!’
- ‘But you know what impressed me most was the calm, serene way you kept looking back at him while he was bawling you out.’
- ‘All I know is, I never again bawled Sean out when he made a mistake on the field.’
- ‘There are moments when you really want to bawl them out.’
- ‘‘Hank was known for calling up his lieutenants on weekends and holidays and bawling them out,’ says a former executive.’
- ‘In college, a professor bawled me out for taking money [for reading palms] on false pretenses.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.