One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large warship of a type built in the early 20th century, carrying similar armament to a battleship but faster and more lightly armoured.
- ‘My ship was the Princess Royal, a battlecruiser which because of its speed was well ahead of our own main fleet.’
- ‘Following the scuttling of the battlecruiser Australia, as part of the Washington Naval Treaty, and due to the age of the other cruisers, a small re-armament program was instituted.’
- ‘Only three of the battlecruiser's ship's company of 1,421 survived.’
- ‘The other submarines changed course in all directions to avoid each other and the battlecruisers and destroyers which followed close behind.’
- ‘The British battlecruiser's main long-range armament usually consisted of eight guns which varied in calibre from 12 to 15 inch.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.