One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fiercely contested fight or dispute.‘there promises to be a battle royal between the two companies’
quarrel, argument, row, fight, disagreement, difference of opinion, dissension, falling-out, dispute, disputation, contention, squabble, contretemps, clash, altercation, exchange, brawl, tussle, conflict, affray, war of words, shouting match, fracas, wrangle, tangle, misunderstanding, passage at arms, passage of arms, battle royalView synonyms
- ‘And so, given the budget deficits ahead, the battle royal will be fought over what remains of federal social spending.’
- ‘Del Toro brings a solid visual eye to the project, but his fight scenes are overlong and too close to a WWF battle royal than superhuman opponents squaring off.’
- ‘Still, the financial services industry is girding itself for a battle royal.’
- ‘We all know now that London triumphed, but from the moment the 2004 Games ended in Athens there was a battle royal with the other four cities in contention - Paris, New York, Madrid and Moscow.’
- ‘What is emerging is a battle royal between companies and politicians out to create a single European market in electricity and those fighting to defend narrow national interests.’
- ‘But Killererin won't go down without a battle royal.’
- ‘Consequently, there will now be a battle royal (of which this article is part) about the rights and wrongs of these particular tactics, and the bigger picture will inevitably be lost.’
- ‘The wisdom of those remarks is demonstrated by the revelation that these parties have spent £50,000 on this litigation so far and they still have a battle royal to fight over damages for misrepresentation.’
- ‘Take advantage of the ice, snow and cold of January by ice skating, sledding, skiing, building a snow family or staging a snowball battle royal.’
- ‘The coach believes the match will be a battle royal, inspired by a clash of styles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.