The order in which batsmen or batters in cricket or baseball take their turn to bat:‘I want you to come in lower down the batting order’‘the timing and the batting order can achieve the results they intend’
- ‘When the Rockies traded outfielder Juan Pierre, they created a void atop the batting order.’
- ‘The batting order definitely needs to be altered.’
- ‘With four hitters in the lineup like the ones you mention, it wouldn't matter much where the manager placed them in the batting order.’
- ‘We've also shifted the batting order around a bit and everyone's understood their roles, responsibilities and made a few sacrifices.’
- ‘The batting order has not been established with any degree of certainty; with many players unsure of what role to perform.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.