Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The order in which batsmen or batters in cricket or baseball take their turn to bat:‘I want you to come in lower down the batting order’‘the timing and the batting order can achieve the results they intend’
- ‘When the Rockies traded outfielder Juan Pierre, they created a void atop the batting order.’
- ‘The batting order definitely needs to be altered.’
- ‘With four hitters in the lineup like the ones you mention, it wouldn't matter much where the manager placed them in the batting order.’
- ‘We've also shifted the batting order around a bit and everyone's understood their roles, responsibilities and made a few sacrifices.’
- ‘The batting order has not been established with any degree of certainty; with many players unsure of what role to perform.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.