Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The average score of a batsman or batter, in cricket a batsman's runs scored per completed innings, and in baseball a batter's safe hits per official times at bat.
- ‘What major league player has had the lowest batting average with 100 or more runs batted in during one season?’
- ‘He only ranks fourth in RBIs and is way down the batting average list.’
- ‘Barfield topped fifty extra base hits again, though his batting average was a shade under .300.’
- ‘I suppose the simplest way of gauging Test allrounders is to deduct the bowling average from the batting average.’
- ‘The Brewers had the worst batting average in the league, while ranking 15th in runs scored and homers.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.